Black Series MAX Clamshell Rooftop Tent Key Features
- Fast set-up and pack down time – less than 2 minutes.
- Frame outer dimensions: 225cm L, 140cm W (add,40mm each side for gas struts) 31cm H
- Fully welded 2mm aluminium base frame and roof frame powder coated black.
- Chequer plate 1.5mm floor and roof.
- Internally reinforced roof load rated to 200Kg when roof closed.
- Extruded roof rails 1.8m long on both sides, suitable for M8 bolts.
- Heavy duty gas struts on both sides, can support up to 50Kg of additional weight on roof when open.
- Internal LED light (White and Yellow) and pre-installed 12V wiring using Anderson plugs underneath and inside the tent.
- Internal opening height of 1.41m at rear and 1.37m at front.
- Heavy duty 460g rip-stop, mold and mildew resistant canvas.
- Large easy set up rain fly on rear and sides of tent.on rear section
- 75mm super high density foam mattress 130cm W and 215cm L with removable canvas cover.
- 12cm of storage space above mattress when tent is closed.
- Thermal marine carpet underneath mattress and carpeted internal roof
- Heavy duty fly screen mesh on all entry points
- Collapsible 2.6m aluminium ladder with attachment points at rear and drivers’ side, comes with canvas storage bag.
- YKK zippers used on fly screens and canvas door openings
- Internal storage pockets on roof and also on sides.
- Four extruded rails underneath tent running cross-ways for easy fitment to vehicles.
- Total weight including all features except the ladder is 100Kg approx.
- 2 Year Nationwide Warranty.
Roof Top Tent Dimensions & External Features
Designed and manufactured in South Africa the Clamshell Roof Top Tent – Black Series MAX is a superb addition to any 4WD touring set ups. The frame of the tent has outside dimension of L 225cm W 140cm (148cm including gas struts) and H 31cm (including the roof rails). The frame of the tent is folded 2mm aluminium with fully welded seams and corners. Both the base and the roof frames are powder coated black with a rippled finish, the top section of the roof and the base are 1.5mm checker plate. Inside, the roof has 5 aluminium cross sections on the inside to provide additional strength, allowing up to 50Kg of weight to be carried on top of the tent, the inside of the roof is also fully carpeted providing additional thermal properties that assist in reducing condensation. The two extruded 1.8m roof rails take an M8 bolt for attachment of accessories such as a solar panels or eye bolts to provide perfect tie down points.
The heavy duty gas struts on either side of the tent allow for easy put-up by one person in under 2 minutes. When packing away there is a bungee cord that goes right around the lower canvas to assist in pulling in the sides of the tent, and the upper section has internal bungee cords to pull the sides in, there is also a long strap at the rear and front of the tent for starting the closure of the roof, and the top section also has handles on the interior to enable it to be easily closed from the inside. . The tent has a fully waterproof and dust-proof automotive grade rubber seal when closed and there are two adjustable lockable catches on the rear of the lower section and the upper section .has two catches at the front and sides of upper section.
Underneath the tent there are four 50mm wide extruded heavy duty aluminium rails that run crossways underneath the tent. These extrusions take an M8 bolt and make fitment of the tent to roof racks, roof load bars or canopies really straightforward. The outer rails start 423mm from the end of the frame and are 398mm apart.
Roof Top Tent Canvas and Internal Features
The tent itself is made from military spec heavy duty 460g rip stop canvas that is mould and mildew resistant with triple stitched sealed seams. Access to the tent can be from either the driver’s side (if entrance is to rear of vehicle) or to the rear using the telescopic ladder that locks in place and is stored in its own heavy duty canvas bag to ensure no sand or dirt gets in the vehicle or the tent.
There is a rain fly on the lower section of the tent at the rear and on both sides, which is easily set up using two spring steel bars that are stored inside the tent when not in use. The rain fly ensures that except in driving rain conditions very little rain reaches the main body of the tent helping to eliminate damp on the outside of the walls of the tent when it comes to packing away.
The tent is pre-installed with 12V electrics; there is an LED light attached to the roof of the tent and an Anderson plug on the base of the tent at the foot. You can run a small fan or provide power to charge mobile phone, iPads etc. from inside the tent. Underneath the tent at the hinges end there is another Anderson plug which can be connected to your vehicles 12V power supply.
Inside the tent there is a super heavy-duty 75mm thick mattress that measure 130cm wide by 215cm long. The mattress is covered with a very durable canvas cover that can be removed for cleaning if required. Underneath the mattress there is a marine grade thermal carpet that provides additional padding/insulation and also help to reduce condensation build up and prevents it from reaching the mattress. Around all sides of the mattress there is a 2cm gap between the mattress and the frame of the tent which assist with airflow around the base of the mattress and also prevents moisture on the inside of the frame from reaching the mattress. There is storage for the telescopic aluminium pole at the head end of the mattress which can be used to support the roof of the tent in the very unlikely event that one of the gas struts fails or is damaged when off-road, or when you have additional weight on the roof.
When open, at the rear of the tent there is a total of 141cm head room and 137cm at the front end of the tent. Storage pockets are located on either side towards the foot end of the tent, plus there is a set of canvas storage pouches that has two zipped pockets and an open pocket, these are velcro backed so they can be located at different points of the roof to suit your needs. When the tent is closed there is a 12cm gap between the roof of the tent and the top of the mattress which is ample room to keep your bedding set up, or for storing clothes in a completely dust free environment, or providing secure storage for fishing rods or hunting equipment.
There is a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty covering the structure, fittings and canvas.